Friday 1 March 2013

Dish 'o' Fish

Having recently returned from Mexico, I was in the mood for some homemade deliciousness. I wanted fish as most of the seafood I had down there was overcooked and unenjoyable. I really wanted to make my own fish that isn't overcooked, dried out and tasteless. Wanting to make something easy because lets be honest, who doesn't like easy?! Having to get back to reality after sitting on a beach all week I wasn't in the mood for spending all afternoon in the kitchen. I'm still in vacation mode and I still can't seem to get myself into gear. I decided to copy our fisherman friend Highlander and make some homemade fish sticks. 

Using halibut we had frozen, I cut the fillets into quarters making them easy finger foods for my family to enjoy later that evening. I was afraid that baking fish sticks might make them mushy but at a hot, hot heat and smothered in panko (Japanese style) breadcrumbs they were very tasty with homemade tartar sauce. Panko is the only style of breadcrumbs I use now because they seem to be courser than most breadcrumbs and everything I have made using them turn out crunchy and delicious. If you've never tried using them I would try it. I make eggplant parmesan from the eggplant in my garden all summer using panko and freezing it too. The panko keeps the eggplant crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside even after spending months in the freezer.

I made a big, green salad to go with it and we had a delightful dinner of fish sticks. Since it was the first time making these I was happy that they came out almost like chicken fingers but with the blandness of halibut, which is why the tartar sauce was a welcomed addition. Highlander couldn't have made them better himself!

This would also be a great way to cook fish for children because its finger foods that are fun and similar to chicken strips. Give them a tasty dipping sauce and they will be none the wiser.

Click here for recipe for fish sticks and tartar sauce.


Tastes like chicken!




2 comments:

  1. fish has to be one of my favourite meals. I try to follow the 'fish friday' rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halibut is incredible and I'm always trying to find new ways to enjoy fish so this is definite must.

    ReplyDelete