Friday 1 February 2013

Beans, capers, trout...oh my!


Nicoise Salad.




The French do it right. Foie gras, duck confit and charcuterie are just some of the French foods or French cooking concepts I have come to love. This week I was craving what I call a substantial salad. A substantial salad is the kind of salad you can eat for dinner that incorporates all of the food groups. It's not your basic lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber kinda salad.

 I've never made a nicoise salad (pronounced nee-suaz). So all day Monday (my experimental cooking day) I called around St. Catharines looking for a reputable grocery store and fish monger who sold fresh, sashimi grade tuna. Unfortunately,  in the middle of January the only place that had some was Sobey's. It was previously frozen from the Philippines and was not sashimi grade. So needless to say I did not buy that to put on top of my salad. Many recipes also suggested using canned tuna, but in my mind that seemed like it was going to taste disgusting and ruin the beautiful salad. With an even more beautiful name. I decided on some fresh trout instead of tuna and I thought it tasted great! So here MY version of the beautifully sounding and tasting nicoise salad.

Find your inner Julia Child in you and make some French food. Find the recipe here.



4 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I'm not a fan of olives either....or capers for that matter. Do you think you could also substitute salmon? I'm not a big fish person, but I enjoy salmon fillets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure! Put whatever kind of fish you wish. Im a firm believer in making food however you want it to taste.

      Delete
  2. i love anchovies...like you know how people ask for pizza and say 'hold the anchovies'? I ask for moreeee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good and so healthy!

    ReplyDelete